Revolutionizing Plastic Recycling
31 August 2023 3:30 pm
SICC Members' Room
It is always inspiring to hear from entrepreneurs. These are the people who make things happen. It is especially encouraging and inspiring to hear from entrepreneurs who are building solutions to environmental problems. Last Thursday we had a great event with the young Singaporean co-founders of Plasticsloop. The company is a local start-up which has rethought plastic packaging to create Singapore’s first sustainable, recycled plastic. During the session, the company’s Co-Founder Mr. Hejia Zhang shared his insights on how his company has revolutionized plastic recycling by achieving a circular model of production.
Singapore is filling our only landfill at Pulau Semakau faster than anyone planned for. While alternatives to plastic packaging exist, many come with their own recycling challenges or cannot be recycled at all. Hardly a sustainable solution. Plastic will be a useful part of our lives for decades but it must be recycled.
Plasticsloop believes we all need to work together to build an ecosystem of circularity to:
- Reduce the usage of virgin plastics and opt for recycled plastics instead. It is worth noting the carbon footprint of a plastic bottle is significantly lower than that of conventional alternatives, making it a more sustainable option.
- Reduce inflows and outflows of waste, maximize resource circularity and reduce resource footprint.
- Education plays a crucial role in cultivating good recycling habits and it is all our responsibility to promote the use of recycled materials. By doing so, we can reduce the amount of waste that ends up in our landfill and promote a more sustainable future.
- Foster a circular recycling model instead of relying on the traditional linear recycling model. This will require a concerted effort from all stakeholders, including individuals, businesses and governments.
- To support the transition to a circular economy, we must ensure material traceability in the waste-to-product chain to generate confidence and accountability.
- Clearer regulations on recycling are needed to ensure we are all working towards the same goals. While individuals can make a difference on their own, it is only by working together at a societal level we can truly make a meaningful impact on the plastic waste crisis.
We would like to express our gratitude to Hejia for a very knowledgeable and insightful presentation and wish him and his Co-Founder Mr. Lee Zhe Yi continued, deserved success. We would also like to thank our very engaged audience members for their passionate participation.