The Chamber was privileged to have the following experts discuss how true sustainability can be achieved and how personal responsibility plays a big role:
– Mr. Rob Kaplan, Founder and CEO, Circulate Capital
– Mr. Colin Goh, Chief Engineer (Planning & Development), Waste and Resource Management Department, National Environment Agency
– Dr. Han Zhang, APAC Sustainability Director, Packaging & Specialty Plastics, the Dow Chemical Company
– Ms. Piia Helminen, Regional Sales and Marketing Manager, Wipak
– Mr. Paul Fong, Country Manager, Dow Singapore & Malaysia (Moderator)
The panel discussion touched on challenges faced by the industry to have more sustainable packaging and what the potential solutions are to overcome these challenges. Key take-aways from the discussion and Q & A session include:
– The need for greater collaboration and partnership between consumers, businesses, governments and NGOs
– There is a need to address the higher cost of sustainable raw materials
– Education and awareness building is the first step in the right direction but behavioural change requires having the right legislation, processes and incentives to encourage consistent personal and business responsibility.
Many thanks to our panellists and moderator for taking the time to share their thoughts and engage with the attendees on this important topic to speed up Singapore’s progress towards sustainability. We look forward to welcoming more of you to the next Circular Economy Series webinar later this year.
In collaboration with: