Fashion: Sustainability and Responsibility
16 May 2023 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
SICC Members' Room
Absolutely fabulous! No, seriously. This is what you get when you have sustainable fashion as the topic, a terrific line up of speakers and an engaged and engaging audience.
Yesterday’s Sustainability Series event, exclusively sponsored by our Strategic Partner Singapore American School, started with a presentation on the trends and actionable steps businesses and consumers need to be prepared to take to achieve greater circularity and sustainability by Mr. Dimitri Le Bert, Managing Director, Strategy& Deals, PwC Singapore. Dimitri was then joined by Mr. Chua Wei Chuen, Senior Director, Global Government Relations, SHEIN and Ms. Nicole van der Elst Desai, Founder, VDE Consultancy, for a panel and audience conversation moderated by Mr. Victor Mills, Chief Executive, SICC.
Here are some key takeaways:
• The fashion industry has an outsized impact on the environment and accounts for about 7% of total global emissions.
• It is a very fragmented industry comprising of Big Brands and many SME manufacturers and suppliers. It is critical for the Big Brands and companies to collaborate with and support the SMEs in the transformation journey towards sustainability.
• A lot of good work is being done on sustainable textiles but the challenge is to scale up efforts to achieve circularity and leave no-one behind: producers and consumers.
• Companies must review their value and supply chains to determine which stages can be effectively decarbonized and encourage and help suppliers to use renewable energy.
• Integrating research and technological innovation into the production cycle will contribute to decarbonization.
• Regulation and education can help shape consumer behaviour and guide them towards making better purchasing decisions.
Many thanks, once again, to SAS, our speakers and to a great audience for an energizing dialogue.