The Chamber was honoured to host Dr. Koh Poh Koon, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Trade and Industry as part of our Distinguished Speaker Series on 22 August 2019.
Dr. Koh’s address focussed on the importance of free trade agreements (FTAs) and why Singapore businesses should maximise their use:
- Tariff Reductions – FTAs make exports more competitive by reducing the duties that end buyers have to pay
- Facilitation of goods clearance – FTAs streamline procedures to allow goods to be cleared more efficiently and quickly
- In-market safeguards – FTAs help to safeguard businesses in overseas markets by eliminating regulations that restrict market access or provide favourable treatment to domestic firms.
Dr. Koh shared that Singapore would continue to strengthen its network of FTAs by initiating linkages with more countries, as well as foster new areas of economic integration (e.g. in the digital economy). Following his address, Dr. Koh engaged the audience in a lively Q&A session covering a broad range of topics on trade and the economy.
We would like to thank Dr. Koh for taking the time to engage with Chamber members and for his insights. Many thanks also to Prudential for being the exclusive event sponsor for the 2019 SICC Distinguished Speaker Series.
We look forward to seeing everyone again at our upcoming Distinguished Speaker Series Events:
• 30 September 2019: Mr. Ong Ye Kung, Minister for Education
• 31 October 2019: Mr. Ravi Menon, Managing Director, Monetary Authority of Singapore
Exclusive Event Series Sponsor