The employer is the Singapore regional HQ of a diversified Asian conglomerate with interests in energy, infrastructure and commodities trading business. With a multibillion-dollar sales turnover, and a highly-skilled multi-ethnic team spread across several countries, the Group is expanding its presence globally in Base Metals, especially Copper. For its new trading desk in Singapore for Base Metals, it is looking for a senior professional to join the team as:
Position: Head – Commercial – Copper/Base Metals Trading
Job Code: EXP/HC-CBM/SG/1022
Reporting to Business Head for Copper/Base Metals Business, the selected candidate will be responsible for setting up, managing and leading the commercial/procurement function for international trade for copper, and later other base metals. Specific responsibilities include:
• Set up the Commercial function for a new international trading desk for Base Metals, especially Copper
• Identify and develop opportunities for procurement of concentrates from major mining companies
• Develop long term placement, pricing, contracts and commercial strategy for copper and other metals
• Develop risk mitigation and management strategies – both short- and long-term – especially for copper concentrates. Maintain relationships with regulatory bodies in different regions to develop deeper understanding of regulatory risks.
• Work closely with finance, business development and trading teams to build financial models for copper and other businesses
• Identify business and investment opportunities in upstream/mining, processing, or supply and distribution businesses in specific markets
• Develop, implement and monitor annual plans and forecasts; and implement cost optimization measures
• Closely monitor processes and systems for Handling, Materials Planning, Purchasing, Warehousing, Logistics and Quality Management.
• Work closely with in-house legal teams and external legal experts to ensure that sales, purchase and other commercial address all risks and compliance related issues.
• Work closely with trading teams to ensure the support they need to maximize revenue while keeping all checks and balances as per corporate policies
Ideal candidates will have:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from premier institutions.
• At least 12-15 years of relevant experience in Commercial/Procurement function in international trading in base metals, especially copper
• Prior experience in global metal trading houses, or with producers
• Deep knowledge of commercial/procurement practices (and associated risks) in international trading of base metals
• Strong business acumen and Risk Management skills
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Prior experience in setting up a trading desk would be desirable
• Strong leadership and team management skills
• Excellent English communication and presentation skills
• Cultural Sensitivity. Ability to work in multi-ethnic teams across different time zones.
• Ability to travel globally, as required
Please apply with a detailed CV (preferably including details on Education & Training, Key Skills, Detailed Work Experience, Professional Referees, Current/Expected Salaries and Contact Details) to [email protected]
Kindly state the position and Code as the subject of your email. We regret that we would only be in a position to respond to shortlisted candidates.